Hidden treasure sometimes lies in everyday things. And, hidden within Numbers 7-8, which preoccupies itself with the provision for the tabernacle’s worship and consecration of the Levites to serve in the ministry of the tabernacle, is a gem of a pattern easily overlooked.
Seven times it is recorded that “the LORD spoke to Moses” (or some similar phrase). It is striking how in passages like this, it is so accepted as usual for God to be speaking to Moses, and yet I find myself wanting more information!
How? How did Moses know it was God speaking? Was it an audible voice? Was it through Moses’ conscience…?
What we know is that Moses quite literally followed God, daily followed God’s guidance it seems. It appears as though Moses had an acute sense of what God was saying to him at any time.
More than this, we also know that Moses can not be sidelined as an extra-ordinary example because;
- Joel 2:28-29 promised that a day would come when God’s Spirit would be poured out on all people young and old, on women and on men.
- Jeremiah 31:33-35 also promised a day to come when we would all know the Lord from the least to the greatest
- And because Jesus said; My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)
The way Moses lived and lead with the constant refrain of God’s words directing him should be a provocation to all Christ Followers but should not feel unattainable in light of passages like the ones quoted.
So I urge you today to STOP and to ask God to speak to you for your day. God can and does speak in many varied ways:
- Through creation all around us
- Through Scripture
- Through other people (encouragement, prophecy…)
- Through an “inner sense” or picture/impression that lines up with Scripture’s general revelation
- Through a peace or unease in our spirit/conscience
- Through something that happens or something we experience
- Through something written, sung, painted…
- Through dreams
“The LORD said to ___________ (fill in your name)”. What’s God saying to you?
Moses lived with the constant leading & directing of God. So why not make space for God to speak to you and choose now to obey His leading.